23 Sep Marzipan Cake
Posted at 20:16h in Easter
Don’t have marzipan? You could also use white fondant. Serves 12
You will need: 10 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar 11⁄3 cups unbleached all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 5 large eggs, just the yolks 1⁄3 cup whole milk strawberry jam 3 cups heavy cream confectioners’ sugar seeds from 1⁄2 vanilla bean 18 oz white marzipan edible untreated flowers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle position.
- Line an 8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix on low speed.
- Mix in the egg yolks and milk.
- Scrape the batter into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan.
- Transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut in 3 slices lengthwise.
- Plate 1 piece of cake on a serving tray and cover with a layer of jam and 1 of cream, continue with all layers.
- Cover the entire cake with a thin layer of cream.
- Use some confectioners’ sugar to roll out the marzipan until really thin.
- Cover the cake with the marzipan.
- Cut off the edges and decorate.
- Let the cake sit 30 minutes before serving.