13 Aug Blue Skies Ahead: A Gin, Meyer Lemon, & Thyme Cocktail
John Bodenschatz of “The Cocktail Potluck” whipped up a fresh spring cocktail just for Sweet Paul readers to greet the season. This drink is inspired by a drink created by Garry White at Denmark on High in Columbus, Ohio.
John Bodenschatz: “To me, this cocktail is the definition of DELISH. Its bright floral notes mingled with blueberries make it a welcome change from the dark spirit cocktails we tend to enjoy during the cold winter months. It is inspired by a drink created by Garry White at Denmark on High in Columbus, Ohio, where I used to work. The garnish always makes me think of flowers peeking out on top of the melting snow. This gorgeous glass of pure deliciousness will be sure to impress at your next gathering. And the heart pattern on top makes it the perfect date cocktail.”
MAKES 1 COCKTAIL
You will need:
1 small thyme sprig
2 ounces gin
3/4 ounces Meyer lemon juice
3/4 ounces thyme simple syrup
1/4 ounces sherry
1 egg white
flower extracts (We used hibiscus and butterfly pea flower here.)
- Place the blueberries and thyme in a cocktail shaker, and muddle them with a muddler or the back of a spoon.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and dry shake them for 30 seconds.
- Add ice and shake again.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- With the flower extract, make small dots on the surface of the cocktail.
- Take a toothpick, and drag it through each dot to create the heart pattern.