23 Sep Quick Rhubarb Jam
This is a simple rhubarb jam recipe. The zippy rhubarb is complemented by the zest and juice from oranges. WOW… isn’t that color fantastic too!?
NOTE! Before making this recipe, you must do the following:
1. Sterilize pint jars and lids. 2. Place jars and lids face up on cookie sheet and keep warm in the oven at low temperature.3. Sterilize metal slotted spoon and tongs, and make sure all equipment is very clean.
Text by Sarah Oster Shasha | Photos by Liz Clayman
You will need:
5 lbs fresh rhubarb, washed and cut into about 3⁄4 -inch pieces
4 cups white sugar
1 cup water
2 large oranges, juiced and zested (zest about 4 tablespoons, juice about 2⁄3 cup)
- In large saucepan, combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Jam will thicken as it cools.
- Fill warm, sterilized jars with jam.
- Clean rims of jars of any drips, and place lids on securely but not too tight.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and carefully lower jars in with tongs, making sure the water completely covers the jars.
- Process for 10 minutes.