24 Sep Skillet Bread with Fennel Seed
I just love making individual loaves of bread for my guests!
This recipe is presented by my friends at Fiesta!
Makes 4 Individual Loaves
You will need:
1½ tablespoons dry active yeast
2 tablespoons honey
½ cup+1 cup warm water
3½ cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
oil for greasing the skillets
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons olive oil
flaky sea salt
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- Mix yeast, honey, and ½ cup warm water in a large bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes. It should be frothy after 5 minutes, if not the yeast is dead and you have to start over.
- Add the rest of the water, flour, oil, and salt and mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic and let it rise until double in size. This will take about 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Divide the dough into 4 and place each dough into a well-greased skillet, top with oil, and use your fingers to flatten out the dough.
- Top with salt and fennel seed.
- Bake them golden for about 18–20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve in the skillet.
Photography by Paul “Sweet Paul” Lowe