21 Sep Norwegian Cardamom Buns
This Norwegian Cardamom Bun recipe is a classic from my mormor’s recipe book! My Mormor always made two batches of these delicate buns, one with raisins and one without!
Everyone loves buns… but my father had one requirement… NO RAISINS! Mormor was famous for her cooking and baking. She had so many recipes that we all just adored. Her cardamom buns were no exception. Because of my father’s hatred of raisins, she would always double the recipe and make two batches of buns, one with raisins and one without. Everyone was happy, especially me, I loved the buns with and without raisins so I think I was the biggest winner of them all!
The table is set with Raptures Platinum by Noritake, a lovely pattern that’s equally perfect for formal and everyday use. It is also available in Gold! I just love the jubilant presentation of metallic splashes, and the best part is they’re dishwasher safe!
Visit NoritakeChina.com to view all Noritake products. Use code SWEETPAUL during checkout to receive 15% off on your order.
Makes about 15 buns
4 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
2 1/4 cups whole milk, warmed to 110F
one packet dry yeast
11 tablespoons butter, cubed and room temperature
1 cup raisins, optional
1 beaten egg, for brushing
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer add flour, salt, sugar, cardamom, egg, milk and yeast.
- Mix until everything is fully incorporated.
- Add the soft butter a piece at a time and work it into the dough.
- Once that is done let your mixer knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise to double size, about 50 -60 minutes.
- Pour dough onto a floured surface and add the raisins if wanted and cut into 15 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Let them rise for another 20 minutes before brushing them with egg.
- Bake at 410F for about 11-12 minutes until fully cooked and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.