23 Sep Marzipan & Chocolate Babka
This babka looks complicated but it’s super easy to make. You get a great result every time.
Makes about 1 large loaf
You will need:
For the babka:
1⁄4 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
21⁄4 cups all purpose flour
2 medium eggs
pinch of salt
21⁄2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
For the filling:
1 tablespoon soft butter
1⁄2 cup grated marzipan
1⁄2 cup chopped dark chocolate
1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Place milk, yeast, and a pinch of sugar in a bowl and leave for 2 minutes.
- Mix sugar, flour, eggs, and salt in the bowl of a KitchenAid and mix well.
- Add the milk and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the cooled butter and let the machine work for 3–4 minutes. The end result should be a smooth dough.
- Cover with plastic and let rise for 11⁄2 hours.
- Take it out and use a rolling pin to make a thin square.
- Spread with butter and sprinkle with marzipan and chocolate.
- Roll into a long log.
- Cut the log in half lengthwise and twist the 2 parts together to form 1 log.
- Place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Cover with plastic and let it rise for 1hour.
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Sprinkle dough with almonds and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
I used walnut marzipan in mine, but you can use whatever marzipan you want. Just remember to grate it first.