24 Sep Black Rolls
Posted at 15:38h in Breads
These black rolls – inspired by Morito London—get their distinctive color from fresh squid ink.
“Guests are really surprised by them, and they add something fun and unusual to the meal,” says Maia du Plessis
MAKES 16 ROLLS
2½ cups tepid water
2 tablespoons squid ink
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 heaped teaspoon dried yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
black sesame seeds, to serve
- Put all the ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook.
- Combine and knead for 5 minutes.
- Then, let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Knead for 3 minutes.
- Cover the dough and leave to rest in the fridge for 1–2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- Line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Pinch off tablespoon-sized pieces of dough and form into rounds.
- Leave to rest for a further half hour.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes.
Photography by Warren Heath