24 Sep Apple & Walnut Bread
Posted at 15:22h in Breads
Thickly slice and serve warm with butter also delicious toasted the day after baking.
You will need:
4 ounces walnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 medium Pink Lady or
Granny Smith apples
2⁄3 cup sunflower oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Spread walnuts on a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Bake for 4 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray then coarsely chop.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar and walnuts.
- Core and coarsely grate 2 apples. Squeeze out any excess liquid using your hands and place in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add apple mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth surface with the back of a wet spoon.
- Quarter, core, and thinly slice the remaining apple and arrange on the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let stand in the baking pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Serve sliced.
Photography by China Squirrel