18 Sep Wild Cucumber Pickles
Wild cucumbers are also known as creeping cucumbers or Mexican watermelon cucumbers.
makes one large jar
1 1/2 cups white vine vinegar
1 cup water
5 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
2-3 cups wild cucumbers, cut in half
2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
fresh dill, lots
- In a saucepan bring vinegar, water, sugar, salt, mustard and pepper to a boil.
- Let it simmer for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Place cucumbers, shallots and dill in a clean glass jar and pour over the brine.
- Place a lid on top and place in the fridge.
- Ready to eat after 24 hours, should be eaten within a week.
Photography by Paul “Sweet Paul” Lowe