17 Aug Hibiscus & Apple Fruit Spread
Posted at 13:12h in Appetizers & Tapas
Fruit spreads are a breeze to make and are perfect served with cheese. They make a delicious topping for grilled cheese toasts and make wonderful accompaniment to roasted duck and pork.
Makes 2 cups
You will need:
1⁄2 cup dried hibiscus flowers
1 1⁄2 cups hot water
3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
1 cup+2 tablespoons white sugar
1⁄2 lemon, grated zest and freshly squeezed juice
- Place the dried hibiscus flowers in a medium bowl and cover with the hot water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and strain through a fine sieve into a pan. Reserve the flowers for another use.
- Place the pan over a medium to high heat, add the apples, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and continue to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft.
- Pour the apples into a blender and purée.
- Return the purée to the pan and add the sugar, lemon zest, and juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring frequently. The paste should be thick and deep in color.
- Spoon the paste into a 6” mold, cover, and refrigerate until completely set.
- Dip bottom of mold into hot water for 30 seconds to unmold.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Photography by Staci Valentine