18 Sep Fried Baby Artichokes
These fried baby artichokes are like popcorn.
Just bite-sized, they’re much less prep work than their larger counterparts because their chokes are edible. The dusting of sumac at the end gives a tart, citrusy flavor to cut through the deep-fried goodness.
10 to 15 baby artichokes
glug of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, smashed, peels left on
3 tablespoons sumac
- Prepare the artichokes by trimming the stems and peeling away any tough outer leaves. Trim tops until you reach the tender core, then quarter.
- In a medium pot, pour enough olive oil to come up about 2”.
- Heat over medium-high heat, until about 300°F.
- Place garlic cloves in the oil, and fry until golden brown to season the oil. Remove.
- Fry the artichoke in batches, taking care not to crowd the pot. Fry until golden brown and crispy. This will take about 6–8 minutes.
- Let drain on paper towels.
- Season immediately with salt and sumac, and serve.
FOOD STYLING by Eugene Jho | PROP STYLING by Nidia Cueva | PHOTOGRAPHY by Armando Rafael