21 Sep Fancy Latkes with Caviar
Posted at 17:44h in Appetizers & Tapas
There’s nothing better to top a crispy latke with than sour cream and caviar!
You will need:
4 large russet potatoes (about 21⁄2 pounds)
3 large eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Canola oil, for frying
1 medium onion, quartered
1⁄4 cup fine cornmeal or matzoh meal
11⁄4 cups sour cream
Caviar, for garnish
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Peel the potatoes, cut them into quarters lengthwise, and place them in the bowl of cold water to prevent browning.
- Combine the eggs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Heat about 1 inch of the canola oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Put the onion and potatoes in a food processor and pulse until pureed. Transfer the mixture to the large bowl with the eggs. Add the cornmeal and mix to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop up the potato mixture and carefully drop it into the hot oil. Use the back of the measuring cup to flatten the latke. Fill the pan with as many latkes as you can, but do not let them touch. Do not overcrowd your pan, or the latkes will be soggy instead of crispy. Fry until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Drain on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To keep the latkes warm and crispy once fried, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a 200°F oven until ready to serve.
- To serve, place the latkes on a large serving tray and garnish each with a generous tablespoon of crème fraiche and caviar.