07 Aug Canned Pickled Carrots & Radishes
I love this classic pickle brine! The radishes and carrots get so wonderfully crisp and they have so much zing!
NOTE! Before making this recipe, you must do the following:
1. Sterilize pint jars and lids. 2. Place jars and lids face up on cookie sheet and keep warm in oven at low temperature.3. Sterilize metal slotted spoon and tongs, and make sure all equipment is very clean.
Text by Sarah Oster Shasha | Photos by Liz Clayman
11⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1⁄4 cup kosher salt
5 to 6 cloves garlic
2⁄3 cup fresh dill, chopped
1 tablespoon allspice
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon star anise
3 bay leaves, fresh if possible
1 bunch carrots, about 1 dozen medium-sized
1 bunch of radishes, about 1 dozen medium-sized
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except for the carrots and radishes.
- Bring to a boil, and add in the carrots and radishes
- Cook for 30 seconds, then using slotted spoon, remove carrots and radishes into a separate bowl.
- refrigerate for 5 minutes, then add back into boiling brine. repeat this process 2 more times.
- Fill warm, sterilized jars with carrots and radishes.
- Pour brine in, just enough to cover the veggies.
- Clean rims of jars of any drips, and place the lids on securely, but not too tight.
- ring a large pot of water to a boil and carefully lower jars in with tongs, making sure the water completely covers the jars.
- Process for 10 minutes. This recipe stores very well in cans, but is also delicious eaten fresh, stored in airtight containers.