18 Sep Camembert with Black Cherry Compote & Pumpernickel Toasts
Posted at 15:22h in Appetizers & Tapas
Deep rich cherry compote goes so well with creamy cheese!
4 1/2 cups pitted Bing cherries, fresh or frozen
1 cup brandy
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 strips orange rind
2 cinnamon sticks
pumpernickel cocktail bread (you could also use rye cocktail bread)
8 to 10 oz of your favorite Camembert
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring cherries, brandy, brown sugar, orange rind, and cinnamon sticks to a boil in a large heavy saucepan; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until cherries are softened and start to release juices. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer cherries to a medium-sized heatproof bowl.
- Simmer juices until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take about 30–40 minutes.
- Pour reduced syrup over cherries. Allow to cool completely.
- While compote is cooling, arrange cocktail bread on 2 rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake until lightly browned. This will take about 6–8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Serve the compote with Camembert and pumpernickel toasts. Drizzle a bit of the syrup over top.
FOOD+STYLING by Carlo Geraci | PHOTOGRAPHY by Linda Puglies